HCC offers a wide range of legal services, advocacy, education and organizing capacity to individuals and tenant associations to defend their legal rights, prevent evictions, improve living conditions, and to keep housing affordable in our community.
TENANT LEGAL SERVICES
HCC provides a range of advocacy, brief services and full legal representation to tenants and tenant associations to prevent evictions, improve living conditions, prevent harassment and keep housing affordable.
Typical legal matters include:
- Housing court proceedings including non-payment proceedings, holdover proceedings;
- Administrative proceedings including NYCHA and Section to preserve tenancies and prevent subsidy termination;
- Article 78 proceedings in Supreme Court to prevent evictions and preserve affordability.
- Ejectment actions in Housing and Supreme Court
- Affirmative litigation to improve living conditions, such as commencement of Housing Part (HP) actions to obtain repairs and restore services, tenant-initiated 7A proceedings, to enforce tenant rights and enjoin landlords in State Supreme and Federal Courts.
- Administrative proceedings and complaints, such as rent overcharge, harassment, reduction in services.
- Ancillary measures to help stabilize households, such as accessing and maintaining appropriate rental subsidies and public benefits and access to supportive services etc.
BUILDING TENANT POWER
HCC works with tenants to form self-sustaining tenant associations with the goal of building collective power, protecting tenant’s rights and preserving affordability. Tenants working collectively are better able to assert their rights and obtain necessary repairs, upgrade building services, stop landlord harassment, and resolve building-wide complaints.
HCC Organizers bring tenants together to identify common problems in their building and assists them in developing a plan of action and moving forward in reaching their goals. HCC helps tenant associations, as necessary, to file actions in Housing Court, such as 7A proceedings (asking the Court to appoint an administrator to run a building because the conditions are dangerous to life, health and safety) and HP actions (tenant-initiated actions seeking repairs). We also assist groups of tenants in filing of harassment complaints and in negotiations with building owners.
Join HCC in its fight to keep our neighborhood diverse, affordable and livable for all its residents. Housing Conservation Coordinators is an active member of numerous citywide coalitions working to preserve affordability in communities across the city and initiates campaigns relevant to the west side. Many of these campaigns are done in concert with the membership organization we sponsor, the West Side Neighborhood Alliance.